Making Assumptions and Respecting Others (Grades 9-12)
Overview: This lesson focuses on the importance of respecting the differences of others, the impact of making assumptions about others, and how respecting each other’s differences can make relationships stronger.
Character Education Objectives:
- watch a video about respecting the differences of others,
- discuss how to recognize and respect each other’s differences,
- reflect on experiences when they made assumptions,
- reflect on how making assumptions impacts our ability to respect differences
- Video: UNeek Productions. 2017. Different. Youtube. https://youtu.be/yu24PZIbkoY
- “We do not see the world as it is, we see the world as we are” – Andy Stanley
- What does this quote mean?
- How do our assumptions impact the way we treat others?
- How do our assumptions affect relationships?
- UNeek Productions. 2017. Different. Youtube. https://youtu.be/yu24PZIbkoY
- How were these two different from each other? You? Me?
- How did their differences impact their relationship in the beginning?
- What did they learn about one another’s differences?
- How can changing your perception help you to respect differences?
- In what ways can you show someone that you respect their differences?
- How can respecting someone’s differences help you develop stronger relationships?
- Write about a time when you made an assumption about someone. Describe how you discovered that your perception of them was wrong once you got to know them.