Students need opportunities to see success and triumph in the midst of struggle. This lesson provides a video that discusses resilience from a young man who faced a lot of trials in his life. The discussion will provide an opportunity for the classroom to share ideas about trust, growth, and overcoming obstacles.
Character Education Objectives:
- watch a video about why adversity can build resilience.
- discuss resilience and trust through the lens of overcoming obstacles.
- hare ideas for building resilience.
- Post-it pads (large stick posters or paper)
- Access to stream YouTube video
Lesson Plan Day 1
Journal: (5 mins)
- What is something that has been challenging in your life to overcome?
- Who have you trusted in your life to help you overcome challenges?
Whole Group (35 mins)
- Watch the video: (15 mins)
- What Trauma Taught Me About Resilience: https://youtu.be/3qELiw_1Ddg
- Discussion (20 mins)
- What does this quote mean to you? “The worst of life could not take out the best of me.”
- Why do people still succeed and flourish despite pain and trauma?
- What is resilience?
- Why does change cause adversity?
- How do your belief systems impact whether you succumb or surmount challenges?
- How is your mind the most crucial resource to building resilience?
- What does trauma teach us about resilience?
- Tell your mind what to think- how do we do this?
- Life is easier when you are prepared – how do you prepare for the unknown?
- Perspective requires partnership
- Why do we need others to help us overcome adversity?
- Exit Ticket: (5 mins)
- Who can you trust to help you overcome adversity when you need it?
Lesson Plan Day 2
Journal (5 mins)
- What is important about learning to trust yourself in tough situations?
Whole Group Discussion (5 mins)
- What did you learn about building trust and resilience yesterday?
Small Group Discussion (10 mins)
- Everything happens for a reason- How can you use your trauma/struggle for a purpose?
- Who can you trust to support you amid trauma or challenges?
- What does it mean to trust resiliency to help you overcome adversity?
Productive Group Work (10 mins)
- On poster paper: What are some ways you can build resilience?
- Have students use a Post It Poster page to record ideas.
Gallery Walk: (10 mins)
- What are some ways you can build resilience?
- Put a star next to an idea you want to remember.
- Put a tally mark next to an idea you have used in the past to help you overcome an obstacle.
Exit Ticket (5 mins)
- What is the most important thing you learned in this lesson?
Hunt, C. (2020). What Trauma Taught Me About Resilience | Charles Hunt | TEDxCharlotte. Retrieved 1 April 2020, from https://youtu.be/3qELiw_1Ddg