Lesson Matrix: C4. RESPONSIBILITY. Students demonstrate the trait of responsibility by taking ownership of their lives and acknowledging their power to choose what they think (including their attitudes and mindsets), say, and do. They are accountable for the consequences of their choices.
- C4.7. Learning From Experience. Students accept their responsibility to review and learn from all experiences. They hold themselves accountable to determine what they could have done differently to get a better result and what they should do in the future.
- Students will discuss, based their experience, the impact of messes on their lives, minds, and community.
- Students will explore ways to demonstrate responsibility by cleaning and organizing their space.
- Students will share ideas about ways to clean and organize their lives to demonstrate they are responsible citizens of their school, home, and community.
April showers bring May flowers. Spring cleaning and a transition into the coming months of summer is a great opportunity to help students recognize opportunities to show responsibility by cleaning their home, school, and community. Students can demonstrate they are responsible by finding places to clean.
- In your bedroom
- In your locker
- In your school
- In your car (HS)
- In your mind
Discuss 1 or 2 with an elbow partner (3 minutes)
- How does clutter and being messy cause problems in people’s lives?
- How have you struggled with clutter in your mind, home, locker, and life throughout this year?
- Rate yourself from 1 (low) to 5 (high) on being responsible and caring for the spaces in your life?
Discuss whole group (3 minutes)
- What does it mean to be responsible?
- How can being cluttered or having a messy room/locker/backpack or mind show your level of responsibility?
Productive Group Work (7 minutes)
Students read and discuss the Psychology of a Messy Room article.
- How does disorganization or messy spaces make you feel?
- What does the article say about the psychology of a messy room?
- How can we be more responsible by decluttering/cleaning?
- What is one space you are going to clean this week/month?
- Tech Support
- Download a Housecleaning APP
- Create a chore list in COZI or on a shared note or Google Drive document
- Pillar Time
- Create a chore list as a family and post it in a prominent place
- Go through any storage items and determine if you have used it in the last year, and donate it if not
- Pick up garbage in the neighborhood as a family
- Dinner Discussion
- What does it mean to be responsible in your family?
- What is one space in your life that needs to be cleaned?
- How does keeping an area clean and organized show you are responsible?