Character Education Objective:
- Students will discuss the meaning of fairness.
- Students will define fairness.
- Students will share their ideas and definitions of fairness from assorted quotes.
Fairness can vary based on definition and situation. Thus, students need to discuss what it means to be fair, and what should be considered unfair in their world. This lesson will give students the opportunity to view fairness from multiple perspectives, so they can create a more expansive picture of what it looks like and sounds like in different settings and situations.
Partner discussion (2 min)
- What is something you think is unfair?
- What is the definition of fair?
Productive Group Work (10 min)
- Place quotes around the room (images or list of them)
- Students will meet with a group to discuss each quote
- The students will develop a definition or attributes of fairness based on the meaning they attributed to the quote
Share out your teams definition of fairness (5 min)
Create a class consensus definition of fairness (5 min)
Independent (3 min)
- What was your favorite quote and why?
“Win or Lose, Do It Fairly.” – Knute Rockne
“The Way You See People Is the Way You Treat Them, And the Way You Treat Them Is What They Become.”– Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
“Live So That When Your Children Think of Fairness and Integrity, They Think of You.” – H. Jackson Brown, Jr
“Fairness Is Not an Attitude. It’s A Professional Skill That Must Be Developed and Exercised.” – Brit Hume
“I Think Perfect Objectivity Is an Unrealistic Goal; Fairness, However, Is Not.”– Michael Pollan
“From the Equality Of Rights Springs Identity Of Our Highest Interests; You Cannot Subvert Your Neighbor’s Rights Without Striking A Dangerous Blow At Your Own.”– Carl Shurz
“You Cannot Be Fair to Others Without First Being Fair to Yourself.” – Vera Nazarian
“If You Want to See the True Measure of a Man, Watch How He Treats His Inferiors, Not His Equals.” – J. K. Rowling
“We Hold These Truths to Be Self-Evident: That All Men Are Created Equal.” – Declaration of Independence