Respect can be easily taught by being a good role model.
Kids are watching how you treat others, even when you may not even realize it. Think about a few of these instances where you may be unconsciously teaching kids about respect.
Do they see you:
- be rude to the cashier at the grocery store?
- be inconsiderate of others’ feelings?
- criticize others?
- being intolerant of other people’s beliefs or values?
In addition to being a good role model, here are more ways that you can promote respect in your home:
- Make a list of ways to show respect in your home.
- Embrace diversity with individuals who are ethnically and culturally different.
- Talk to children about the differences between treating everyone with respect and admiring them.
- Teach the Golden Rule – treat others they way that you would like to be treated.