Facebooktwitterpinterestlinkedinmail
image_pdfimage_print

@TheRayCenter #CharacterCounts

It’s a big week for apologies.

A few public figures (Rep. Joe Wilson, Kanye West, Serena Williams) are saying sorry for their bad behavior. Before we are too quick to judge these celebrity outbursts, how many of us have made remarks or acted in ways that we quickly regret?

But why? Is it just a lack of self-control? Maybe Rep. Wilson could not simply keep this thoughts to himself. What about a sense of narcissistic entitlement? Maybe Kanye thought that his views were more important than anything else and he deserved to share them.

In any case, it wouldn’t hurt any of us to think more before we act (or speak). A quote from Frank Outlaw sums up how quickly our thoughts and words can define us:

“Watch your thoughts; they become words.
Watch your words; they become actions.
Watch your actions; they become habits.
Watch your habits; they become character.
Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.”

Public figures behaving badly
Tagged on:

3 thoughts on “Public figures behaving badly

• 2009-09-15 at 18:18
    Permalink

I definitely agree with this. Couldn't we all just stop and think before we speak or act. I know I put my foot in my mouth frequently.

• 2009-09-15 at 18:38
    Permalink

I sure agree with everything posted on here! Good article!

• 2009-09-15 at 20:33
    Permalink

The opposite side of this coin is having the courage to speak when the situation demands it. Too often people don't speak when perhaps they should – out of a fear of offending or to avoid conflict or for some other reason. The wisdom is in knowing which side of the coin you're on.