Facebooktwitterpinterestlinkedinmail
image_pdfimage_print

We’re pleased to invite Iowans to contribute to our mission through submitting a guest blog. Enjoy our first guest blog from Kristi Knous, VP of Donor Relations & Community Investment at the Community Foundation of Greater Des Moines.

While I was winding through downtown Des Moines last week to pick up my daughter Abbey from volunteering at Science Center Camp, I couldn’t help but feel a little proud.Abbey decided to spend one entire week of her summer vacation helping kids learn about dinosaurs and outer space.While she didn’t solve world hunger or find a cure for a disease, that week she was doing what she could, volunteering her time and talents in a way that was meaningful to her and to the campers she served.

It reminded me that we can all find moments to give back to our community.Whether it’s donating clothing to a family in need, serving meals together as a family or supporting our local arts and cultural community, all of these actions no matter how small, do make a difference.

One year ago our community came together to support those affected throughout our state by tornadoes and floods.The outpouring of donations proved once again that as Iowans, we are better when we work together.

Today I encourage you to give back, get involved and learn more about the opportunities around you. As I’ve seen in Abbey, it not only grows character but also enables others.

As vice president of donor relations and community investment at the Community Foundation of Greater Des Moines, I have the opportunity to match people with their charitable passions every day.Please consider how giving back to your community –whether through time, talent or donations—can make a difference for those around you.

I’m sure that you will also find we’re simply better together!

Your moments to give
Tagged on:

2 thoughts on “Your moments to give

• 2009-08-05 at 19:56
    Permalink

Excellent example of how philanthropy is a universal concept.Giving back to your community can be done at in age in a variety of ways. This is a great reminder of that. Thanks Kristi!

• 2009-08-13 at 08:48
    Permalink

Kristi, thanks for the post, its really a bad thing that people dont have time to even look after the people around them who don'y have much money or happiness. Again thanks for reminding the duty.